Thursday, February 23, 2006

Polluted air in my neighborhood


Working in downtown Seattle, I have boasted about also living downtown. Well today, the Seattle Times has published a story highlighting a study of air quality by census blocks. It turns out that the most unhealthy air in Washington state is found in neighborhoods near ports in Western Washington. My work and home is less than a mile from the ninth busiest port in the country, the Port of Seattle. The study defines unhealthy air as air quality that contains high levels of 78 cancer causing air pollutants described by EPA. Downtown Seattle is in the top 1 percent of all census tracts nationwide for cancer-causing air pollution levels. The risk-- King County, the location of Seattle, is ranked in the top 2 percent of counties nationwide for cancer risk from air pollution assuming that people live their entire lives in one location and live until 70 years. Nonetheless, I'm not worried because the life expectancy of a black male born in 1995 is 64.8 years. I was born some two decades earlier so my life expectancy is considerably less. Reports show that it takes about 20 years of exposure to see signs of lung damage. So likely I won't live long enough to worry about this risk. To review your risk of dying at your current age visit this CDC page. You can read about Lung Cancer at the American Lung Cancer Association website-- there office is located one block from my apartment.. they have some really good information in their office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home